I finally got to start my internship this last week! It was such a mix of emotion to start. I was beyond excited to get into the classroom and apply things that I had learned, I mean, this is what I am going to school for, nothing better than handson training. But I was also very nervous! I have never done anything like this before!
To make it there on time, I had to wake up at 530am. For anyone that knows me, knows that was death. I got there and met my teacher. She was super friendly and greeted me with a hug! I was glad she was nice and welcoming. We went and got the kids from the playground to start the day. It is amazing how fast the memories come back about daily routines of elementary school that you totally forgot about.
We went about the things of the morning, checking homework, planners, questions, etc. I forgot how small 5th graders are. I guess I remember being more mature than that haha. From there they went to their "special", library. I got to see all of the works of the 5th grade. We planned for the next lesson, talked to other teachers. It was a little overwhelming! Remember, it was my first day!
So when they got back in, we started working on math. I got sent to the hall with a group of 3 kids who were strugglng with the concepts to help them out. Things were going well at the beginning... then one of the girls got upset because she was not understanding and it was lunch time. So she started crying. Panic rushes over me. I wasn't taught what to do in this situation! The other two kids with me informed me that this is a normal thing that she does and not to worry about it. I am sure that they saw the panic in my eyes trying to decide what to do about the situation! Luckily, math time ended soon and I got out of that situation!
The rest of the day went off with no other problems. After spending 5 hours in the classroom, I had to go for 7 hours straight of actual class. I was EXHAUSTED. I don't know how i am going to pull this off. I feel like I have 2 seperate lives. One at school and the other at work. It is like I have 2 full time jobs and full time school. The rest of my week involves lots of work, interning, and school. Of course I have no break or day off to rest. It just keep going. I am getting overwhelmed. I closed tonight at work and have to open again tomorrow. Ugh. I am putting off going to bed for at least a few so I have at least a little "me" time.
I better head to bed now though. Have to be up soon for another long day. So if I do not update this that often, please don't be mad. I wish that I could! i have been learning about creative writing though and wish I had some time to do a little free writing. Maybe I will..
Saturday, September 11, 2010
The 5th Grade
Posted by asshley at 12:34 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment